POSITION TITLE: Sports and Fitness Coordinator
PAY CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time Exempt
SUPERVISOR: General Manager
NATURE OF WORK:
The Sports and Fitness Coordinator is responsible for the organization, management, administration and supervision of all aspects of The HUB Recreation Center’s fitness center operation and programming, and in-facility and out-of facility sports and recreation programs including leagues, tournaments, and recreational activities. The Coordinator will work closely with the individual leaders of each program, as well as other internal departments, such as Facilities-Customer Service Rentals, Operations, Marketing, Fitness, Membership, and Youth Development to successfully accomplish these responsibilities and support the vision, mission, and core values of The HUB Recreation Center. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following: recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, troubleshooting, evaluating and completing payroll for sports and fitness department staff; updating staff training materials, operating manuals; assisting with developing, adjusting and enforcing policies and procedures; budget management; equipment purchasing, inventory, maintenance, and safety checks; overseeing risk management practices; keeping and compiling ongoing patron usage statistics; and providing instruction, outreach and orientation sessions. This position will require varied hours. Night and weekend hours will be required at various times throughout the year.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develops, plans, and executes facility and out-of-facility sports programs, leagues, camps, and tournaments.
- Develops, plans, and executes facility recreation programs for members and guests.
- Coordinates HUB programs including basketball, volleyball, tackle and flag football, tennis, and other sport programs.
- Promotes program enrollment in interactions with existing and potential members and community constituents.
- Coordinates with the Facilities Service Coordinator and General Manager on rental of facility by outside groups.
- Coordinates with the Marketing Director on efforts to ensure appropriate and timely release of information including weekly gym court schedule and other events affecting facility use and programming.
- Ensures proper implementation of sports staff department procedures.
- Provides “extraordinary” member services and responsiveness to member’s needs.
- Recruits, interviews, orients, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers.
- Recommends and advises on department hiring and termination in conjunction with General Manager.
- Reviews employee performance within disciplinary counseling sessions and positive recognition sessions.
- Meets financial objectives by forecasting requirements; assists in preparing annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances and initiating corrective action plans.
- Coordinates the development and management of fitness programs to meet the needs of membership and achieve operating objectives.
- Develops and implements corporate wellness/fitness programs in and out of the facility.
- Supervises all fitness staff including Sports Staff, Fitness Manager, Group Fitness Instructors, Personal Trainers, and Fitness Attendants.
- Develops and prepares training and development for fitness staff.
- Develops policies and procedures in conjunction with department leaders and General Manager.
- Provides accurate records and appropriate reports.
- Maintains a professional image within the community and The HUB.
- Participates in trainings and staff meetings in communication with the leadership staff team.
- Conducts department meetings as appropriate and needed. May delegate specific meetings to department managerial or lead staff.
- Recommends equipment and supply purchases for the program areas.
- Responsible for all aspects of risk management in the Fitness Center, keeping equipment operational, and area properly sanitized and clear of hazards daily.
- Administer first aid and emergency procedures as needed.
- All other miscellaneous duties as assigned by General Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in exercise physiology, kinesiology, human performance management, recreation, health, sports management, or related field, and have 3-5 years of appropriate experience – preferred
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
- Current certification in group fitness from a nationally recognized fitness organization (e.g., AFAA, ACSM, ACE, NCSA) or other national certification in personal training – preferred
- Experience coaching/teaching youth and adult sports – preferred
- Staff leadership and organizational/department management experience – required
- Track record of developing, marketing and selling recreation programs – preferred
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays
- Experience with fitness equipment usage procedures and maintenance plans
- Strong computer skills required with MS Office software and basic website capabilities
- Certification for CPR and First Aid required within (1) month of hire
As scheduled by General Manager and as needed for staff supervision. Manager-on-duty shifts as required.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, and kneel and must occasionally lift and/or move 50-100 pounds.