It is commonly accepted that the most successful fitness routines are those that are both effective and enjoyable. Many people start out committed to exercising, but if it is not fun, they lose motivation and become distracted by life’s other obligations, eventually giving up on their goals. More Americans play basketball than any other sport, though most see it as recreation and not a form of exercise. In fact, heading to the basketball court on a regular basis can be very beneficial to your body and mind in the following ways.
Mental Benefits of Playing Basketball:
- Boosts Confidence: Many people feel awkward and unsure of themselves when they first begin a fitness routine. Because basketball doesn’t feel like exercise in the traditional sense, it is easier to lose your inhibitions. Playing basketball at a recreation center provides you with the support you need to hone your skills without the pressure of a fitness class. This confidence helps you improve your game and encourages you to get to the basketball court more often, and may also motivate you to learn other physical skills and try new things.
- Self Discipline And Mental Development: Whether you chose to play basketball on a competitive team or casually at The HUB Recreation Center, there are rules to learn in order to avoid penalties for both you and your team. You will need to keep your mind alert and focused enough to remember all of the rules while running around the basketball court. This sense of focus comes in handy in other exercises and fitness classes you may take as well.
- Improves Spatial Awareness: Spatial awareness is useful in many sports and recreational activities, but it can be difficult to achieve. These skills develop naturally and progressively on the basketball court as you must maneuver your body to make the shot and prevent your opponents from making theirs
Physical Benefits of Playing Basketball
- Burns Calories: Weight loss is not the reason that most people begin playing basketball, but an hour on the basketball court with friends can burn between 300 and 800 calories, depending on the type of game you are playing. Since the sport is fast-paced and fun, players are engaged in constant activity without watching the clock, allowing for a successful workout that doesn’t feel like a chore.
- Good for the Heart: All that movement keeps your heart rate up, too, allowing for increased cardiovascular strength and endurance as you join up with your basketball buddies at the recreation center more often.
- Strength Training: For those who want to increase body strength without lifting weights, playing basketball is a wonderful alternative. The constant running back and forth works out your legs, back, neck, and deltoids, while dribbling and shooting skills work on your arm muscles and hand strength. This is indeed a full-body workout without boring repetitions.
- Bone Strength: In addition to strengthening your muscles, the weight-bearing activities involved in basketball also strengthen your bones. This comes in handy at all stages of life, as bone weakness can put you at risk for falling as you age.
- Coordination and Motor Skills: It is not just your mind that must focus on the basketball court. Combining strategy with blocking and shooting means that you must learn increased coordination. Drills and practice can help you improve your game with the help of a team of friends.
Play Basketball At The HUB Recreation Center Today
If you are looking for a supportive and comfortable environment in which to improve your basketball game, look no further than The HUB Recreation Center in Marion, Illinois. Join us today to begin your fitness journey.